CONTEST NOW CLOSED
FLASH FICTION CONTEST
Tales to Terrify holds a flash fiction contest twice a year, based on a visual writing prompt. The contest is open to writers of all experience levels.
Keep an eye on our social media (and an ear on the podcast) for when we announce our next contest. You can also view more details about the rules and submission requirements below.
SPRING 2021 CONTEST: "Boy’s Head" Gustaw Gwozdecki (1904)
- You don’t need to interpret the scene literally, or use the setting or the characters, but your work should be in some way inspired by the painting or its themes.
- Deadline to submit is February 28, 2021 (11:59pm CST)
- The story must have a horror element and be based on the provided image, image description, or theme.
- It must be previously unpublished.
- Submissions must be in English, but authors from anywhere in the world are welcome to submit.
- A minimum of ONE winner will be announced on or before April 1, 2021. The top flash piece will be produced for audio narration on Tales to Terrify and receive $25 (USD). Runners up may also be considered for production.
- Authors retain the rights to their submitted stories.
- up to 1,000 words
- Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format
- Double spaced
- 12 pt. Courier New or Times New Roman font
Please include author, title and word count on first page.
Stories pasted into the body of an email will be rejected without being read.
For further details on submission criteria and what styles/topics of horror fiction we look for, please check out our standard Submissions page.