CONTEST NOW OPEN!
FLASH FICTION CONTEST
For our latest flash fiction contest, rather than an image, we present a simple theme: nautical horror.
While the contest doesn’t open until May 1st, we encourage you to get a head start! Keep an eye on our social media (and an ear on the podcast) for contest updates. You can also view more details about the rules and submission requirements below.
SPRING 2022 CONTEST: Nautical Horror
- The story must have a horror element and be nautically themed (which, for our purposes, means anything to do with the ocean, sea or open water). While your tale may include elements not associated with the ocean or open water, the theme must play a clear and essential role.
- The image included on this page is for interest purposes only and not intended as a prompt.
- Deadline to submit is May 31, 2022 (11:59pm CST)
- It must be previously unpublished.
- Submissions must be in English, but authors from anywhere in the world are welcome to submit.
- A minimum of ONE winner will be announced on or before July 1, 2022. The top flash piece will be produced for audio narration on Tales to Terrify and receive $25 (USD). Runners up may also be considered for production.
- Authors retain the rights to their submitted stories.
- up to 1,500 words
- Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format
- Double spaced
- 12 pt. Courier New or Times New Roman font
Please include author, title and word count on first page.
Stories pasted into the body of an email will be rejected without being read.
For further details on submission criteria and what styles/topics of horror fiction we look for, please check out our standard Submissions page.